China East 2018
October 19 - November 4
Many major hospitals in China have modern medical equipment and well-trained medical staff. However, as in Canada, Mental Health often comes with a stigma in society, even within the healthcare profession. The Mental Health Team seeks to promote mental health by serving in and around Xiamen (eastern China), Changchun (northeastern China) and Kunming (southwestern China). We engage with hospitals through seminars and workshops on mental health issues, and demonstrate our practical love by providing dental services to some of the patents and staff. We also have had opportunities to conduct talks in community centers and university campuses. The Pediatrics team similarly engage in teaching activities in Xiamen, Yangzhou, and Kunming. Previously we have contributed to the building and funding of an oncology ward and paid for medications for those who could not afford them. Our trips have been marked with joy and a desire to respond to God’s call.
In the past, our team had provided a broad range of services including Psychiatry and Pediatric Medicine conferences, Child & Youth Mental Health workshops, Certifications in Basic Life Support and Neonatal Advanced Life Support, and ESL Classes, and sponsoring psychiatrists and allied professionals for short-term training in Canada. Currently, our focus is on education through medical conferences and workshops in China.
The Team welcomes enquires from potential applicants with the following qualifications:
- Pediatricians, Pediatric sub-specialists, nurse instructors and nurses
- other specialty physicians interested in exploring potential teaching opportunities
- mental-health workers, especially psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists and counsellors with interest/expertise in community out-patient psychiatric healthcare
- interpreters/translators fluent in Mandarin
- dentists and dental hygienists
FOR MORE INFORMATION